If you're wondering, "Exactly how much CBD oil should I give my dog?" — you're not alone. Our dogs are our best friends, and we don't want to give them too much CBD oil, even if it's good for them. But giving your dog CBD doesn't have to be confusing or scary.
In many ways, our four-legged friends are just like us: they need an appropriate diet, regular exercise, and companionship to stay healthy. They can also develop many of the same health concerns as humans. For some dogs, CBD might be a great option for comfort.
- 1) Endocannabinoid System in Dogs
- 2) Giving Your Dog CBD
- 3) Safety First for Pet CBD Oil
- 4) CBD Oil for Dogs or CBD Treats for Dogs?
- 5) How Much CBD Oil Do I Give My Dog?
- 6) How Much CBD Oil Do I Give My Cat?
- 7) How Do I Give My Dog CBD Oil?
- 8) Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs
- 9) Finding the Best CBD for Dogs
Many of the solutions used to comfort canine concerns are not universally accepted and can contain harmful or even unidentified ingredients. This leads many dog lovers on a quest for alternative options. Those looking for a safe, natural way to comfort their pets often turn to the many healthy compounds found exclusively in the hemp plant.
The Endocannabinoid System in Dogs
If you’ve been investigating the possibilities of CBD, you’ve likely noticed that this non-intoxicating cannabinoid has the potential to impact your health and wellness needs. You may have also noticed that cannabis oil is being used for a considerable number of seemingly unrelated concerns. The reason CBD is believed to be beneficial for such a diverse list of topics can be explained by the way it interacts with the receptors of the endocannabinoid system, or ECS,1 the largest regulatory system in your body, and your dog’s body, too.2
All of the different cannabinoids working together produces an "entourage effect." This term refers to the combined effects of all the cannabinoids like CBD and THC working together for maximum benefits. This is why you'll find that high quality CBD products that work are full spectrum CBD oils. This means they contain all the different compounds needed to produce an entourage effect.
Cannabidiol, or CBD, from the cannabis plant has the same health and wellness potential for your dog as it could have for you, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, horses, and more.3
Giving Your Dog CBD
Although CBD-infused snacks and treats for dogs and cats are easy to find, it’s important to know that many companies use low-quality hemp extracts to create their CBD products for pets. Many of these questionable pet products contain too little CBD to be of any significant value. CBD treats can also be quite expensive. So if you want to give the best to your pet when it comes to CBD dog treats, you need to research the quality of the CBD first.
Safety First for Pet CBD Oil
You want to be sure everything in the CBD bottle will be safe for your pet, including the hemp seed oil or coconut oil that is used as a carrier oil for the CBD.
Looking for the word “organic” in the labeling, and checking third party lab tests will help you find a safe pet oil for your companion. Organic products have been created without any harmful pesticides or toxic chemicals. It's important to look for the official USDA organic certification to be sure that the product is guaranteed to be free of toxins.
CBD Oil for Dogs or CBD Treats for Dogs?
Many pet owners consider CBD tinctures to be easier than CBD capsules when it comes to giving them to pets. Tinctures can be added to foods and treats or applied topically to soothe discomfort.4
So what is the amount of CBD that you should give your dog? Should he get a full dropperful, or just a few drops? We have an easy and proper CBD dosage guide for the amount of CBD per day that is appropriate to give dogs. Please keep in mind that these are general recommendations, you may need to adjust based on your pet's individual needs.
How Much CBD Oil Do I Give My Dog?
The best way to determine CBD oil dose for dogs is to find out your pet's body weight. Standard dosage charts call for 2 mg CBD per every 10 pounds in body weight.5 This is a great starting point, and is usually the perfect dosage recommendation that your pet needs.
For example, if your Golden Retriever dog weighs 50 pounds, his recommended CBD dosage would start out at 10 mg per day. The correct CBD dosage for a 150 lb Great Dane would be 30 mg CBD per day. So long as you know your dog’s body weight, you can know how many mg of CBD to give him.
Once you have an idea of what CBD dosage for dogs requires, you can split that dose up and give them a half-dose twice a day. If they have more serious needs, you may want to administer CBD in the morning and at night for maximum dose CBD comfort.
How Much CBD Oil Do I Give My Cat?
The 2 mg CBD per 10 lbs dosing guideline for dogs is the same for cats too!6 A 25-pound Maine Coon would need about 5 mg CBD. As you can tell, small dogs and cats will not need as many drops to get the small amount of CBD oil the dosage chart recommends.
When it comes to determining how many milligrams of CBD hemp oil to give your pet, know that you don’t really need to rely on dosing instructions. The CBD dosing guidelines for dogs and cats is mostly based around their body weight. However, you will want to keep in mind that you may need to make adjustments for their individual needs.
How Do I Give My Dog CBD Oil?
The measured dropper in CBD bottles makes it easy to get the right CBD dosages for your pet based on their weight. Since CBD oils are quite versatile, there are numerous ways to administer them. Consider the value of the following suggestions:
- Adding CBD to Food: CBD oil can be added to dry or moist dog food, or even a dab of peanut butter. You can also use it to create your own hemp CBD-infused dog treats.7
- CBD by Mouth: You can use the dropper included with your CBD tincture to dispense the oil directly into your dog’s mouth.8 If your dog enjoys the flavor, direct administration may be the best way to ensure consistent dosing.
- Adding CBD to Water: Adding a regular dose of CBD to drinking water is an easy way to give a dose of CBD to a dog reluctant to eat.9 The trick is not to use too much water to ensure your buddy is ingesting a full dose.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs
Cannabinoids are the messengers to the endocannabinoid system. Our body can create cannabinoids as needed, but a significant number of other factors can create a demand for cannabinoids that might exceed the body's natural supply.10
That’s where CBD-derived from hemp comes in. CBD mimics the functions of internally produced cannabinoids, or endocannabinoids, to help keep your body in top form.11 Many researchers currently believe ECS deficiencies can could lead to other problems.12
That’s why so many people are investing in CBD for themselves and their pets. Just a few of the many potential benefits of CBD oil for your dog could include:
- A sense of calm: Maybe your pet is feeling overactive, or excessively running around the house, or chewing up your brand new flip-flops that just came in the mail.
- A sense of comfort: We all experience a little distress from time to time, and that includes pets too! When you give your dog a regular dose of CBD per day, this safe and natural product could support a myriad of comfort related issues.
Finding the Best CBD for Dogs
When selecting a CBD pet oil for your dog, you will want to use the same criteria you would use for any other member of your family. It’s important for pet parents to select high-quality products that have been tested by an independent lab for purity and potency.
Unlike many products saturating the market, Cornbread Hemp Full Spectrum CBD Pet Oil is made with the same premium distilled hemp oil as the products we formulate for you, with one crucial addition, a corndog flavor your pet is sure to enjoy.
Can dogs take CBD oil with medication?
There are certain situations where CBD could potentially have an effect on the medications your pet takes. If your dog takes any prescription drugs, you should check with your veterinarian beforehand18 to make sure there will be no negative interactions.
Can humans take CBD oil for dogs?
Likely yes. You shouldn't be giving your dog something you wouldn't ingest yourself (yes, dogs do eat some disgusting things, but not with your permission). Some CBD for Pets is flavored to make it easier to give to them.
Is CBD oil for dogs legal?
Yes! The 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp derived CBD oil. So as long as the product has 0.3% THC or less,19 it’s completely legal and you aren’t endangering your pet in any way. This means you don’t have to worry about the law – and you don’t have to go through some shady business!
Bottom Line: CBD Dosage for Dogs and Cats
You don't need a dosing chart to find out the CBD dosage guidelines for dogs or cats. The best CBD dosage to start with for your four legged friend is 2 mg CBD per 10 pounds body weight. Your pets can enjoy the same benefits of CBD that we do. You may notice an increase of comfort levels in older pets, or maybe your little furry ball of worry will finally be able to chill out! Keep a journal of when you give your pet CBD, how much you give them, and monitor how they respond to it over time.
Although CBD is considered a safe, natural product for pets and humans, it may not be advisable for some. As we've mentioned before, CBD has the potential to interact with medications,20 so please consult your veterinarian before purchasing a cannabis product for your pet.
1. Silver RJ. The Endocannabinoid System of Animals. Animals (Basel). 2019;9(9):686. Published Sep 16, 2019. doi:10.3390/ani9090686. Under ‘the endocannabinoid system’ section, 1st paragraph, 1st and 2nd sentence
2. Letscher, E. and Letscher, E., 2020. The Endocannabinoid System, Our Universal Regulator — Journal of Young Investigators. [online] Journal of Young Investigators. Available at: https://www.jyi.org/2018-june/2018/6/1/the-endocannabinoid-system-our-universal-regulator Accessed July 7, 2020. Under ‘the endocannabinoids’ section, 1st paragraph and 1st and 2nd sentence
3. Silver RJ. The Endocannabinoid System of Animals. Animals (Basel). 2019;9(9):686. Published Sep 16, 2019. doi:10.3390/ani9090686. Under ‘the endocannabinoid system’ section, 1st paragraph, 1st and 2nd sentence
4. CBD Awareness Project. 2020. Best CBD Oils For Cats - Reviews & Education | CBD Awareness Project. [online] Available at: https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/ Accessed July 7, 2020. Under ‘how to Give CBD oil to your cat’ section, 2nd paragraph
5. Standard dosage charts call for 2 mg CBD for every 10 pounds in body weight.
6. CBD Awareness Project. 2020. Best CBD Oils For Cats - Reviews & Education | CBD Awareness Project. [online] Available at: https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/ Accessed July 7, 2020. Refer to table under ‘CBD oil dosage for cats’ section
7. CBD Awareness Project. 2020. Best CBD Oils For Cats - Reviews & Education | CBD Awareness Project. [online] Available at: https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/ Accessed July 7, 2020. Under ‘how to give CBD oil to your cat, section, 2nd paragraph
8. CBD Awareness Project. 2020. Best CBD Oils For Cats - Reviews & Education | CBD Awareness Project. [online] Available at: https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/ Accessed July 7, 2020. Under ‘how to give CBD oil to your cat, section, 2nd paragraph
9. CBD Awareness Project. 2020. Best CBD Oils For Cats - Reviews & Education | CBD Awareness Project. [online] Available at: https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/ Accessed July 7, 2020. Under ‘how to give CBD oil to your cat, section, 2nd paragraph
10. Zou S, Kumar U. Cannabinoid Receptors and the Endocannabinoid System: Signaling and Function in the Central Nervous System. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(3):833. Published Mar 13, 2018. doi:10.3390/ijms19030833. Under ‘cannabinoid receptors’ section. 1st paragraph
11. CBD Oil Review. 2020. CBD And The Endocannabinoid System | Learn More | CBD Oil Review. [online] Available at: https://cbdoilreview.org/cbd-cannabidiol/cbd-endocannabinoid-system/ Accessed July 6, 2020. Under ‘how does CBD affect the endocannabinoid system?’ section, 1st paragraph and 2nd sentence.
12. Russo EB. Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency Reconsidered: Current Research Supports the Theory in Migraine, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel, and Other Treatment-Resistant Syndromes. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2016;1(1):154-165. Published Jul 1, 2016. doi:10.1089/can.2016.0009. page 154 and 155, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence.
13. American Kennel Club. 2020. ...What Dog Owners Need to Know. [online] Available at: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/ Accessed July 7, 2020. 1st paragraph
14. Blessing, Esther M et al. “Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for ... Disorders.” Neurotherapeutics : the journal of the American Society for Experimental NeuroTherapeutics vol. 12,4 (2015): 825-36. doi:10.1007/s13311-015-0387-1
15. Gamble LJ, Boesch JM, Frye CW, et al. Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs. Front Vet Sci. 2018;5:165. Published Jul 23, 2018. doi:10.3389/fvets.2018.00165
16. Kogan L, Schoenfeld-Tacher R, Hellyer P, Rishniw M. US Veterinarians' Knowledge, Experience, and Perception Regarding the Use of Cannabidiol for Canine Medical Conditions. Front Vet Sci. 2019;5:338. Published 2019 Jan 10. doi:10.3389/fvets.2018.00338
17. Best CBD Oils. 2020. Can CBD Cause Diarrhea? - Best CBD Oils. [online] Available at: https://www.bestcbdoils.org/can-cbd-cause-diarrhea/ Accessed July 7, 2020. 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence.
18. CBD Awareness Project. 2020. Best CBD Oils For Cats - Reviews & Education | CBD Awareness Project. [online] Available at: https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/ Accessed July 7, 2020. Under ‘consult your veterinarian’ subsection, 1st paragraph and 1st sentence
19. Hudak, J., 2020. The Farm Bill, Hemp Legalization And The Status Of CBD: An Explainer. [online] Brookings. Available at: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/12/14/the-farm-bill-hemp-and-cbd-explainer/ Accessed July 6, 2020. 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence
20. CBD Awareness Project. 2020. Best CBD Oils For Cats - Reviews & Education | CBD Awareness Project. [online] Available at: https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/Accessed July 7, 2020. Under ‘consult your veterinarian’ subsection, 1st paragraph and 1st sentence