CBD or cannabidiol is derived from the hemp plant that contains very little THC. The federal government identifies CBD products as containing less than 0.3% THC properties. But with conflicting reports and laws varying state from state, it can be quite confusing where you can purchase and possess the product.
Luckily, we are here to help at Cornbread Hemp! We can make the process of finding safe and enjoyable products easy, shipped straight to your door in all 50 states, and US territories, including Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. So, how old do you have to be to buy CBD? We are to help clear up this confusion for you!
How old do you have to be to buy CBD?
Once upon a time, the legal age in the United States for purchasing alcohol and nicotine products was 18. Once you were a legal adult all of these rights were given to you. However, as we know, this is no longer the case. Legal alcohol and nicotine purchases have moved to the age of 21, even though you only need to be 18 to vote or join the military.
The main difference between alcohol and CBD is that alcohol isn’t known for its wellness benefits. CBD is a great tool for healthy living, and even as a form of relaxation for some. Although CBD is not addictive, there are still restrictions in some states for the age at which someone can buy CBD.
To help, we have broken it down state by state, so no matter where you’re traveling there is a quick guide to finding your answers. Before we jump in though— it is important to understand that CBD and marijuana products are completely different and fall under different categories under the federal Controlled Substance Act (CSA). Some states have legalized CBD and hemp products but haven’t yet legalized marijuana products.
How old to buy CBD?
The Farm Bill signed in 2018 resulted in the US government removing hemp from the controlled substance list. With this, any hemp-derived CBD oil is legal to purchase and consume at any age. There’s no age restriction in the federal law. Despite this federal law, every state is allowed to change this law on a state level. With conflicting laws in every state, it is important to know what is happening near you!
How old to buy CBD? State by state!
Alright, let’s get to it! Going in alphabetical order we are going to discuss CBD laws in every state.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Alabama? 18. With the most recent bill passing in 2020, Carly’s law following a study done with CBD at the University of Alabama made CBD products legal as long as they are derived from industrial hemp plants. If the products contain more than 0.3% THC then it is considered to be illegal.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Alaska? 21. The government in Alaska was part of the federal pilot program for introducing CBD as a legal product to consumers. So yes, CBD is legal to purchase at the age of 21 in the state of Alaska. There can be some conflicting reports though because the growth and cultivation of CBD products in the state are illegal. The products must be imported from another state, like Kentucky for instance!
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Arizona? 21. There is no restriction on the amount of CBD that one person can purchase and possess at any given time unless being purchased with a medical card.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Arkansas? It depends. Although legally there isn’t an age restriction for possessing or buying the product most people under the age of 21 might run into trouble accessing the products.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in California? 21. You need to be 21 in order to have access to the readily available product in the Golden State.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Colorado? 21. Colorado is also known to have plenty of readily available stock of CBD products. With so many dispensaries in place, there is an age restriction of 21 in order to purchase and possess CBD products.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Connecticut? 18. Any hemp-derived CBD products are completely legal, but cannabis-derived products require the consumer to possess a medical marijuana card. Luckily at Cornbread Hemp we provide a full range of products perfect for any resident!
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Hawaii? 18. It is very important to point out that there is quite a bit of misinformation and conflicting testimonies about the product in Hawaii. The state legislation has banned the growing and cultivating of hemp products from the islands. With this in mind, you cannot purchase or possess any products derived from marijuana plants. It can be quite difficult for residents to find any products in-store, so shopping online is the best bet!
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Idaho? 18. Previously any purchase of a CBD product whether it derived from a hemp plant or marijuana plant was illegal to purchase and possess in the state of Idaho. After the passing of the 2018 federal Farming Bill which took hemp off of the controlled substances list, hemp-derived CBD products containing 0.0% THC were allowed to be sold and consumed in the state. As of 2021, governor Brad Little has passed the act of transportation of products containing up to 0.3% THC. Despite this, the only products allowed to be consumed and sold must still contain 0.0% THC.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Illinois? 18. With the legalization of recreational marijuana in January of 2020 the legal buying age for all CBD products in this state moved to 21. Since most CBD products are sold in dispensaries you must be 21 to enter.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Indiana? Unlike nearly all of the other states in the U.S. Indiana does not have an age restriction or limit for access to CBD products. Anyone can purchase or possess CBD products as long as it is within the federal limits of containing 0.3% THC. Similar to other states however the ability to access the products under the age of 18 could be quite difficult to purchase.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Iowa? 18. The state of Iowa has been struggling to pass clear legislation regarding the growing, processing and purchase of CBD products. From the most recent update by the Iowa Department of Agriculture— CBD products for human consumption are totally legal. However, the CBD products made to help animals remain illegal.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Kansas? 18. Kansas also has some harsh restrictions on the purchasing and using CBD products. Similar to Idaho— all CBD products must contain 0.0% THC properties unlike other states that allow 0.3% THC.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Kentucky? 18. We also have the best available products, just check us out at Cornbread Hemp!
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Louisiana? 18. In the ‘bayou’ state you can expect the same laws as the majority of other states which require the consumer to be of legal age (18).
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Maine? 21. Way up in the northeast we find the same restriction as other ‘green’ states. With readily available products most consumers won’t be able to access the product until reaching the age of 21.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Michigan? Michigan is unique in the way of legalizing both hemp derived products as well as marijuana-derived products for CBD. With this in mind, you need to be 21 in order to possess and purchase CBD products.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Missouri? 18. Missouri is rather rigid in its state laws regarding hemp and CBD products. The state has a medical card program or a ‘hemp extract registration card’ that will allow its citizens access to the products. Unless you are registered with this program it is otherwise illegal to consume CBD products.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Nevada? 21. ‘Sin City’ has pushed Nevada to legalize recreational marijuana and sell the majority of CBD products in these dispensaries. Since you need to be 21 to access the products inside you need to be 21 to buy the product in stores.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in NJ? 21. New Jersey requires the consumers to be 21 to use CBD products. CBD products are most readily available in recreational marijuana dispensaries.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in North Carolina? 18. In North Carolina you can expect the same restrictions of needing to be of legal age in order to purchase CBD products.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Oregon? 18. The west coast has plenty of ‘green’ states where CBD products are readily available in dispensaries where the legal age to enter is 21.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Rhode Island? 21. Rhode Island has interesting laws regarding CBD, the products must be extracted from industrial hemp and contain 0.3% THC. In 2019, their legislation passed a bill that enacted that you must be 21 in order to legally purchase CBD.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in South Dakota? 18. South Dakota requires you to be 18 in order to obtain and use CBD products as long as it meets the federal regulations of 0.3% THC.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Texas? 18. The Lone Star State also follows other state laws of being 18 in order to purchase and possess CBD products. However, it is important that the majority of vendors won’t sell the products to consumers without a medical card. Buying the products online will be your best bet to getting quality products.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Vermont? 18. Vermont is a ‘green’ state meaning it has legalized recreational cannabis use. But unlike other states with this law, Vermont makes CBD products readily available to purchase at stores outside of dispensaries allowing those 18 and older to have access to the product.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Washington? 18. Washington state is a very green state as far as the legality of cannabis products. Unlike a majority of other ‘green’ states, the product is sold in coffee shops, grocery stores, and gas stations. All of these are available for purchase at the legal age of 18.
- How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Wisconsin? 18. After years of the state senate going back and forth about the legality of CBD consumption, the latest ruling has turned the bill into law. In Wisconsin anyone can purchase and possess CBD products at the age of 18, but something interesting to point out is these products can contain up to 0.7% THC. This is higher than the federal law and it is important to purchase safe and reliable products!
List of State Laws
There are some states where you must be 21 to buy CBD products:
- New York
There are some states where you must be 18 to buy CBD products:
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
How old do you have to be to buy CBD products?
How old do you have to be to buy CBD gummies?
CBD gummies are one of our favorite products. And there’s no difference in age restriction if you’re buying gummies or some other form of CBD product. There are no age restrictions under federal law, and each state has either no restrictions or 18 or 21. So please check your state law before purchasing.
How old do you have to be to buy CBD oil?
CBD oil is one of our customers’ favorite ways to calm down aching bodies after a long day. Whether you just need a few drops under your tongue before bed to wind down or to start the day feeling fresh, here at Cornbread Hemp we offer some amazing oils for everyone!
Summing things Up
At Cornbread Hemp we are committed to helping our customers find safe products that they can enjoy from the comfort of their homes. By shopping online you can avoid the lines and spend time researching which of our products are the best fit for you! Some may enjoy the CBD oil to ease achy joints, while others look forward to their CBD gummies to help them sleep. We have a range of products for everyone's needs, so let’s do it!
How Old Do You Have to Be to Buy CBD?
There is currently no federal law that prohibits persons under the age of 18 from purchasing hemp-derived CBD products. The age requirement to purchase CBD products is 18 in some states, but please check your state law as the age requirement may be different.
How Old Do You Have To Be To Buy CBD Oil Online?
There are no age restrictions under federal law to purchase CBD oil, but each state has different laws. You must be 18 years old to purchase CBD oil in some states, but before purchasing please check your state law as the age requirement.
Do I Need a Medical Marijuana Card to Buy CBD?
No, you do not need a medical card to purchase CBD products. You must be 18 years old to purchase CBD products in some states, but check with your local and state authorities to make sure.